This castle was built by Tokugawa Ieyasu in 1609, one of Japan's three great castles. It was used as a residence of 17th generation of the Tokugawa family until the Meiji era(1868-1912). The Golden Shachihoko (a Japanese sea creature with the head of a tiger and body of a carp) became the symbol of Nagoya. The castle is known both as Golden Shachihoko Castle and Golden Castle.
This is a castle founded in 1405 by Shiba Yoshishige. It was widely known as the headquarters of Oda Nobunaga in 1555, and subsequently the Toyotomi and Tokugawa families became the castle owners, and it was used until 1613. The present castle tower reproduces the ornate Momoyama culture of the Azuchi-Momoyama period(1568-1600).
This Buddha statue became witness to the marriage of the Emperor Showa in 1927 by Yamada Saikichi. It is a statue of one of the great Buddhas known as Amida Nyorai, with a height of 19 meters, larger than Buddha statues in places like Kamakura and Nara. Inside the park there is a camping area and public bathing facilities.
This is a castle that was built in 1469 by Oda Nobuyasu (Oda Nobunaga's uncle). It is one of Japan's 12 famous castles, and one of 5 designated as a national treasure. One could say that it is representative of the history of the turbulent history of competition and battle between the nobles Oda Nobunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu. Being situated on top of a small mountain, the views of the river are also quite something to behold.
Located in Aichi Prefecture, this is a valley formed in Tomoe River. Many tourists visit Taigetsukyo Bridge in the autumn season, where the autumn leaves and "katakuri" flowers (dogtooth violet) can be seen.
Here we can witness historical traces of the "Battle of Sekigahara" which is said to be one of the greatest and fiercest battles in Japan's history after the political strife following the death of Toyotomi Hideyoshi in 1600. The East Army (Tokugawa Ieyasu, Tokugawa Hidetada, Yuki Hideyasu, Kuroda Nagamasa) and the West Army (Mori MototeruIshida MitsunariUkita HideieUesugi Kagekatsu) fought and Tokugawa Ieyasu ultimately obtained ultimate power. In 1603 he established the Edo Shogunate. There are numerous historical walking courses where visitors can see the battle paths and underground paths used.
This is a reservoir in Nezu Shrine, in Gifu. From 1999, various species of waterlily such as the pygmy lily and spatterdock lily were planted here, and koi carp, which were initially not available in the area, were brought over and bred in this area. Due to this series of events over time, the area ended up resembling the lily ponds illustrated by Claude Monet.
A Tendai sect temple built by Sanshu in 834 AD. The primary object of worship is Yakushi Nyorai, and Minamoto Yoritomo is said to have come here to pray for war victory. Along with the temples Kongorinji Temple and Hyakusaiji Temple, it is one of the "Koutousanzan" destinations (east lake three mountains). It is also famous for autumn leaf viewing, attracting numerous visitors each year.
This is a Tendai sect temple built in 741 by Gyoki. The object of worship is Sho Kannon and after it became assigned as a holy place of Buddhist training by the Ennin Priest who practiced at Mount Hiei, it became the branch temple of Enryakuji Temple. It is famous for the countless Ksitigarbha (buddha that looks over children, travelers and the underworld) known as the "Thousand Jizou". As the main hall is separated from the main gate, it is thought that it escaped burning down from the attack of Oda Nobunaga.
This is a castle that was built by Ii Naokatsu in 1622. It is famous as one of Japan's only 12 remaining castles, and is one of five that is designated as a national treasure. From the top of the tower, visitors can see magnificent views of Lake Biwa, There is also a moor boat that is still in use, from which Hikone Castle can be viewed, and whose views can be enjoyed along with the seasons.
This is a sandy beach of about 1 km, at the tip of the Atsumi peninsula. The area is so called, due to a legend that a couple of noble status were engaged in an illicit love affair and banished from their home, and lived in this area. There is a lighthouse on the cape, and is a popular dating spot with its beautiful sunset views.
This is a plateau spreading between Mt. Chausuyama with an altitude of 1415 m and Mt. Hagitaro that has an altitude of 1358 m. During the period from May to June, there are around 400,000 moss plants of 7 different varieties bloom on the vast grounds of 22,000 square meters, in a variety of pinks, light purples, and whites. There are plenty of facilities here such as the vacation village, art museum in Takahara, Yahazu Pond, Rest House, Tenkuan, and a pasture ranch.
This is a Koga Style Ninja Theme park that opened in 1983. Within the park, there is a Koga Ninja museum which houses the largest number of Ninja tools and exhibits in the world, as well as the original residence of the famous Ninja known as Fujibayashi Yasutake, which was deconstructed and rebuilt as a Ninja trick house. There are other sporting Ninja experiences available such as Shuriken sword fighting and "Mizugumo" - crossing rivers on small raft like objects.
This is the 43rd town inn which is located on the Nakasendo road, which links Tokyo (Edo at the time) and Kyoto, built during the Sengoku era(1467-1600). It has the traditional cobbled stone paths that were present originally, and is one of Japan's few traditional villages whose buildings are preserved today. Along with Tsumagoi-Juku it is one of the flagship tourist destinations of Kiso road.
This is a large rock in Futami Okitama Shrine in Ise city, Mie prefecture. It was believed that rocks and mountains housed gods and became objects of worship, with Torii gates built as a path for the gods to walk along. Nowadays, the rock is seen as a symbol to bring harmony to married couples, safety at sea, or bountifulness.
This is a village situated in the southern part of Nagano prefecture. With its ideal altitude, clear area and surrounding mountains and stunning starscapes and cloud scapes below, the area has been recognized by the Japanese ministry of environment as the best star viewing area in Japan. Peach flowers also bloom in this area from mid April to the beginning of May.
This is a Tendai sect temple that was built in 619 AD under the instruction of Prince Shotoku. The objects of worship are Senju Kannon(1000 Armed), Juichimen Kannnon(11-faced) and Sho Kannon and is a hidden temple not normally well known. From the Lake Biwa coast up to the main temple hall there are about 800 steps, known as the "808 steps". The temple is said to bring long life as the pronunciation of the name "Choumei" which is the name of the temple, means "long life" in Japanese.
This is a famous hot spring in Gero City. With 1000 years of history, it is named as one of Japan's three best onsen, by Hayashi Razan, a neo-Confucian philosopher. There were many times where the area was destroyed by floods of the Hida River, but it was restored each time, and there is a full onsen town along the river. Hoba Miso paste (made from Magnolia leaf) is a specialty product in this area.※Credit：下呂温泉観光協会
This is the 42nd town inn which is located on the Nakasendo road, which links Tokyo (Edo at the time) and Kyoto, built during the Sengoku era(1467-1600). It has appeared in Ukiyo-e art and Utagawa Hiroshige, and is one of Japan's few traditional villages whose buildings are preserved today. Along with Magome-Juku it is one of the flagship tourist destinations of Kiso road.